Friday, February 11, 2011

Fun Fuzzy Friends - Needlefelting

I just love needlefelting.  It is one of my favorite new-found crafts.  It is realitively inexpensive, lightweight, and I can do it while watching a movie.  Although needlefelting can be done as a flat piece, I seem to be drawn to doing more sculptural, three dimensional forms.

 I started with animals and have worked my way up to doing dolls.  Love doing dolls.  The Asian cutie pictured above is about 3 1/2" high.  She has a long black braid down her back.  I call the blond doll "Bette Midler".  She is a bigger scale, about 8" and sports an amythest necklace and earrings.  The little woodland lad I call a Hobbit (notice his feet) and he is about 4" as is his sweetheart in the green dress.

My favorite I have done thus far is a doll of Freida Kahlo.  She is the same scale as Bette about 8".  She has hoop earrings and a chunky turquoise necklace.  I am thinking of putting the yellow flowers across the whole front of her bodice, what do you think?

Needlefelting is definately a fun craft.  I am considering teaching a class since I have had several requests and have the space & time to do it.  I'll keep you posted on plans for that.

I have done some felting with a spiritual nature as well.   I call this "Lilith Tree".  It is about 11" high.  The top of the tree is made up of pregnant feminine forms. spirals and faces.  Spirals form at the base of the tree and move upward to form the feminine form of Lilith.  The Tree has one perfect red apple and inside the trunk of the tree, at it's base is a packet that holds the blessings of lavendar, rose, corn, and all the things that I put into the eggs.  The prayers held inside this tree are for the integration of Lilith (wild, untamed and expansive feminine nature) with Eve (nurturing, passive mothering nature) .

Hope you have enjoyed looking at my fuzzy friends.
Love , Margaret

3 comments:

  1. I especially love the Hobbit couple and of course Frida.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the Lilith tree and felt its power in my hands when you visited Eugene. Where are the animal ones you made?

    ReplyDelete
  3. these are full of stories, yes Freida has to be my favorite, too, until i see the next one.
    the wool and needle are lucky, they come alive in your hands : ) :)

    ReplyDelete